Survival Knife Kit – The Top 10 & How To Choose
You don’t have to be preparing for an apocalypse disaster to own a survival knife kit, and they make great additions for outdoor enthusiasts who enjoy camping, backpacking, and hiking.
A survival kit can assist you in setting up a tent, starting a fire, hunting, digging, cutting food, and protecting yourself from others. Regular kitchen knives do not have the strength or blade integrity, so you need one or more of these knives in your go-bag or bug-out bag.
This article will give you insights into the pros and cons of the top 10 knives to help you select a suitable survival knife kit for your lifestyle and outdoor hobbies. We’ll explain why each of them is among the best and why you should have them. But, before we get into the specifics, let’s go over what else you can expect to find in the kit.
Items To Expect In A Survival Knife Kit
You are probably wondering how a blade can help you start a fire. The answer is a knife with a survival kit in the hollow handle. A good kit also contains other necessary items for survival. These additional items can include:
- Firestarters or strikers
- Fishing lines, weights, and fishing hooks
- Emergency blankets
- Wire saw
- Small flashlights
- First-aid kit
- Sewing pack
Best Survival Knife Kits Ranked 1-10
We have mentioned that the blade kits are suitable for emerging and non-emergency situations. You could also keep one in the car to be prepared for anything, especially for people who live in the mountains, rural or suburban areas where it is difficult to access help quickly. For this reason, there are many kits that you should keep in mind when shopping for a good blade.
#1 Mossy Oak Survival Kit
Mossy Oak offers a hefty, stainless steel blade that is well constructed. The Mossy oak is 15 inches long, with the blade itself being 10 inches long and 0.56 inches thick. The Mossy oak is razor-sharp with a saw back and a sharp clip point.
Many people love Mossy Oak because of the sleek handle with anti-slip rubber that is also soft. The rubbers give you a firm grip and protect the knife from sliding out of your hand.
Mossy Oak Pros
- The mossy oak has sharp and saw-like ends that you can use for various functions.
- The Mossy Oak pack also contains a fire starter, sheath, and sharpener.
#2 Holtzman’s Gorilla Survival Camping Kit
There must be that close family member or friend that loves adventures like hunting, fishing, and camping. Whether it’s their birthday or a holiday, you can always gift them with the Holtzman Gorilla blade. The blade is high quality and comes with other items that will help during adventure activities.
Holtzman’s Gorilla Pros
- The Holtzman’s Gorilla has an ergonomic handle with a good grip. The handle enables you to move quickly and control the blade without tiring your hand.
- The Holtzman’s Gorilla has a thick blade made of steel that is razor-sharp, making it perform its functions better and last longer.
- The Holtzman’s Gorilla comes with a classy Kydex sheath and a leather strap, making it easy to carry the knife and other items and look good at the same time.
- The kit also contains a paracord, a G10 scraper, a Ferro rod, and an Allen wrench.
#3 Grand Way Tactical and Folding Kit
The Grand Way Tactical and Folding Blade have the best razor-sharp and fire-starting functions. The blade is small, which makes it portable. The Grand Way serves everyone, including men, women, boys, and girls. You can carry the Grand Way Tactical and Folding Knife Set for camping, bushcraft, fishing, hunting, and military needs.
Grand Way Pros
- The knife has a spring that makes folding and unfolding smooth.
- You can easily lock and unlock the knife using the liner lock.
- The Grand Way set also includes the paracord, pocket clip, lanyard, and fire starter. People love this set because you can strike the firestarter rod against the blade to light a fire.
- The Grand Way is compact when folded, making it portable.
- Grand Way makes the blade using stainless steel, a durable material.
#4 SE 8″ Survival Knife with a Compass and Survival Kit
Are you planning an adventure? You can show up and show off your SE 8″ kit to your friends. The blade is durable, portable, and can complete any task.
SE 8″ Pros
- The SE 8″ manufactures the knife with stainless steel, making it durable.
- The SE-8 is 8 inches long with a 3-3/4 inch blade 3 mm thick. However, the handle is short and measures 3-1/4 inches, making it difficult to use. But it makes it portable.
- SE 8″ is also double serrated, making it efficient to carry out other tasks.
- You will also get a sheath that attaches to your belt.
- The “SE 8” pack also includes a compass, a fishing hook with string, and thick matches.
#5 Whetstone Cutlery The Vermillion Survival Knife Kit
The Whetstone Cutlery & Vermillion Survival Set is the most portable kit because the handle has a compartment to store other items. When you combine the storage and the knife features, you will find the ultimate set that is best for your outdoor activities.
Whetstone Cutlery Pros
- The Whetstone Cutlery Blade Set is the most comprehensive survival kit and contains bandages, a compass, a fishing line, hooks, matches, and a whetstone for sharpening.
- Whetstone Cutlery also has a hollow hand so that you can easily store all the items that come along with the blade.
- You can store the blade in a nylon sheath, making it easy to carry and easily access the items when attached to your belt.
- The Whetstone Cutlery knife has both a razor-sharp end and a serrated backsaw to make it diverse for various functions.
- Whetstone Cutlery has a serrated handle that gives it a grip when working with the knife.
#6 Maxam 12-Piece Survival Knife Kit
The Maxam 12-Piece Survival Kit is among the most convenient and portable kits that are perfect for outdoor activities like skinning games and cutting the limbs of trees.
- The Maxam 12-Piece comes with two knives, one 8 inches long and 1/8 inch thick. The second one is 7 inches long and one and a half inches thick.
- Thanks to the help of a sheath, you can easily carry the knife on your belt or attach it to your backpack.
- The set also has a ton of surviving gear, including matches, firestarter, bandages, needles, thread, safety pin, tweezers, a small pencil, and a razor blade.
- The Maxam 12-Piece also has serrated ends that enable you to cut tree limbs or perform other functions.
#7 Rothco Ramster Survival Kit
The Rothco Ramster Survival brand put a lot of thought into making this set. As an adventurer, you will carry out different tasks like cutting rope, skinning fish, and cutting wood limbs, among other outdoor activities.
Rothco Ramster Pros
- The Rothco Ramster blade is stainless steel, making it durable and rust-free.
- The Rothco Ramster Survival Set is comprehensive and includes a compass, weights, fishing lines, wire saw, sinkers, needles, fishing hooks, and matches.
- The blade has storage compatible with storing all the additional items in the set.
- The knife is also double-edged to help you with various functions, including cutting the wood limbs.
#8 VF DONGFANG Survival Knife
This VF DONGFANG set comes with 12 different items for survival, including a tactical knife. The pack contains durable items and can serve you in any outdoor situation. The package also includes a small classic portable box with a placeholder for every item.
VF DONGFANG Pros
- The set has various items like a tactical knife, mini flashlight, tactical pen, compass, waterproof water bottle, survival bracelet, emergence blanket with a fire starter, and a tube whistle.
- The storage is also waterproof and holds all the contents.
#9 Survivor HK-217 Knife Kit
This Survivor HK-217 set comes with two long-lasting and sharp blades. Everyone loves a kit with two knives since it is easy to lose items outdoors.
Survivor HK-217 Pros
- Both of the blades are made of stainless steel, making them durable and sharp for a long time.
- One of the blades has a serrated edge that you can use for various functions.
- The set also has other items like a sharpening stone, a compass, fishing hooks, weights, a fishing line, a wire saw, and matches.
- You will also find a sheath to attach to your bag pack or belt.
- One of the knives has a storage compartment that makes storing all the extra items convenient.
#10 Bear Grylls Ultimate Kit
The good thing about this set is that it comes with a Bear Grylls pocket guide for users, which shows you the use of each item and survival instructions. Like the rest of the survival sets, the Bear Grylls has a knife and other extra items that are helpful for outdoor activities.
Bear Grylls Pros
- It has a quality knife that is durable and razor-sharp.
- The set also has rescue equipment like a signal mirror and a lanyard whistle.
- The other items in the kit include standard things like waterproof matches, sewing, and a fishing line and hooks.
- The Bear Grylls knife kit goes above and beyond the common kit items by including a bottle opener, tweezers, survival blanket, lanyard ring, pliers, screwdriver, snare wire, a nylon bag, cotton ball-fire tinder, miniature light, a hand saw, wire cutters, and emergency cord.
Final Thoughts On The Knife Blade
- The knife should have a full tang that extends to the handle
- A blade made of high carbon or stainless steel
- A good, sturdy handle with a good grip
These three features strengthen and make the blade durable and make the knife dependable.
As for the survival knife kit, essential items you will want that will make you love your knife include:
- fire starter
- fishing line and hooks
- safety pins
- basic first aid items
Finally, think about your budget. Do you get one for your hiking and backpacking adventures with another more robust knife kit? That is precisely what we have, a small blade and a larger survival knife kit.
More Survival Tips
Best Machetes for Survival – Top 15 Survival Machete Reviews
Best machetes for survival including reviews of the top 15 best survival machete for clearing brush, chopping wood, and self defense you can buy.